Monday, May 25, 2009

Chasing the Coyote



The day dawned dry and sunny in NH, but as we made our way to the race in Fairlee, VT, just over the border, the clouds started to thicken and the rain started to really come down before the Cat 2/Sport riders moved off the starting line. The Coyote Hill Classis is just that....a classic. Some big climbs with some killer fun singletrack downhill....and mud! There is something different about the mud in Vermont, something that makes it pack down in your tires and makes running in it something of a comedy show (yes, I was off the bike, a lot). But I still love that course!




By the time the Cat 1/Expert riders started the sun was out again, but the course was now ridden over with a slick coating of mud. We did 3 laps (about 5-6 miles each), allowing plenty of opportunity to "master" that tricky section. The GT Marathon Pro "Marty" excelled at this race! I used all the travel and was thankful for the Kenda Karma tires...they rolled and gripped with the best of them....and no pinch flats despite running low pressures. And the shifting was flawless despite all the mud caked in the derailleur and the cogs!




This race was one where everyone just rode their own race. At the beginning of the downhill on the first lap I moved into the first place position in my age group (second overall) and never saw another woman again on the course. I finished in 2 hours and 8 minutes, a mere minute slower than first place overall. I'm pleased with the race I rode, glad that both myself and the bike withstood the less than ideal conditions!




Next Sunday is the Bear Brook Blast Off, the second of the EFTA races. The course is in great shape after having put in some corduroy in some of the wet spots this past Saturday. John, Dave Maz, Dawn and I will be out arrowing on Friday. The course was a little longer than anticipated....14 miles for the novice and 25 miles for the sport and expert. I think we'll still be seeing sub 2 hour times though.....Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment