Monday, August 3, 2009

Making the Most of Cancelled Races....

Well, it was bound to happen, but the Fort Rock race was post-poned until the end of September because of all this rain. Those that oversee the conservation land that the trails are on actually cancelled the race on Wednesday. And it was a good idea.....over 2" of rain fell on Friday!

But the silver lining is that John and I hooked up with Harold Green, another GT dirt guy, and his son, Matt for a ride at Deerfield Ridge. It was a GT bike fest! I was on my Force, John was on his Marathon Team (aka Matilda), Harold and his son were both on the Zascars. So at 26.5 pounds, I had the heavy bike! Matt, being the conniving soul that he is, managed to have me ride my bike up the big climb, so he could ride it down! Although he did carry my bike up the very steep hike-a-bike section...so I can't complain about that!

Because I was looking for a bit of an epic, John and I then went to Wendall State Forest for another ride on our way home. It was my first time there, and with a little coaching from Harold, we found some great trails! Fun, seemingly endless singletrack (ok, maybe I was tired) that had enough climbing and technical features to keep it all fun! This is definitely a place I'm going to go back to.....hopefully with Harold as our ride leader!

This weekend is the 12 hours of Great Glen. John and I are doing a 2 person team. I'm looking forward to the race, although I'm currently without Marty.....front fork is getting worked on.....just hoping to have him up and running for the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment